In November, Dr. Wallace J. Nichols (“J”) traveled to Pittsburgh from California’s slow coast to present at GBA’s monthly Inspire Speakers Series. The following day, he joined participants of our School Sustainability Culture Program (a program of the Green & Healthy Schools Academy) to discuss how K-12 educators, administrators, and facility managers could use his research to […]
Tag Archives | Wallace J. Nichols
How many of us have experienced peacefulness and relaxation, or maybe even a spiritual connection when we are near water? I am a scientist by training, but my passion is water… I’m inspired by its beauty, stimulated by its playfulness and energy, and calmed and soothed by its healing forces. So I was captivated by […]
Looking for some extra insight and inspiration? Wish you could learn more about our incredible Inspire Speakers Series national guests before each lecture? Eager for another opportunity to connect with GBA’s staff and partners? Here’s your chance! GBA’s Anna Siefken and Leslie Montgomery will host this edition of our Inspire Speakers Series Book Club where we can all take a deep dive into the theories, perspectives, and expertise of Dr. Wallace J. Nichols.
Here’s how the Book Club works:
- When you register for this event, it includes the purchase of your very own book.
- Pick up your book either at GBA’s offices or at the October 9th edition of our Inspire Speakers Series event (there will be a table with books on display).
- Read the book! GBA will provide a reading guide for all participants.
- Come to the book club on November 6th, where we’ll enjoy inspiring conversation and pot-luck style fare and drinks. We’ll have some extra wine on hand (it is a book club after all!). As a special treat, we’ll also get to Skype with the author himself!!
- Finally, join us at the Inspire Speakers Series event on November 13th where we’ll all hear first-hand from Wallace J. Nichols. You can even get your copy of the book signed after the lecture!
This book club is hosted at Anna Siefken’s house, which was recently featured in Mt. Lebanon Magazine and on the Mt. Lebanon Kitchen Tour. You will get to see her sustainably-designed kitchen first-hand!
If you cannot make the November 6th gathering, join the Book Club gathering on Monday, October 27th from 4:30 – 6:30 at Waldorf School of Pittsburgh in the Friendship neighborhood of Pittsburgh. This event will include a LIVE Skype session with the author. Participants are encouraged to read the first three chapters of the book before the event. Learn more and register.
More About this Book:
- Why are we drawn to the ocean each summer? Why does being near water set our minds and bodies at ease? In Blue Mind, Nichols revolutionizes how we think about these questions, revealing the remarkable truth about the benefits of being in, on, under, or simply near water.
- Combining cutting-edge neuroscience with compelling personal stories from top athletes, leading scientists, military veterans, and gifted artists, Nichols shows how proximity to water can improve performance, increase calm, diminish anxiety, and increase professional success.
- Blue Mind not only illustrates the crucial importance of our connection to water-it provides a paradigm shifting “blueprint” for a better life.
- Check out Wallace J. Nichols’ online book club for Blue Mind here.
- Read this book review in the Washington Post and learn more about the book here.