Looking for some extra insight and inspiration? Wish you could learn more about our incredible Inspire Speakers Series national guests before each lecture? Eager for another opportunity to connect with GBA’s staff and partners? Here’s your chance! GBA’s CEO, Mike Schiller, will host this edition of our Inspire Speakers Series Book Club where we’ll take an in-depth look at the theories, perspectives, and expertise of Jeremy Rifkin.
We’ll read Jeremy Rifkin’s book: The Third Industrial Revolution: How Lateral Power is Transforming Energy, the Economy, and the World.
Here’s how the Book Club works:
- When you register for this event, it includes the purchase of your very own book.
- Pick up your book either at GBA’s offices or at the November 13th edition of our Inspire Speakers Series event (there will be a table with books on display).
- Read the book! GBA will provide a reading guide for all participants.
- Come to the book club on December 3rd, where we’ll enjoy inspiring conversation and pot-luck style fare and drinks. We’ll have some extra wine on hand (it is a book club after all!).
- Finally, join us at the Inspire Speakers Series event on December 11th where we’ll all hear first-hand from Jeremy Rifkin. You can even get your copy of the book signed after the lecture!
This book club is hosted at Mike Schiller’s house, so this event gives you a very special opportunity to engage in intelligent, inspiring, and thought-provoking conversation with GBA’s fearless leader!
More About this Book:
- Jeremy Rifkin is an adviser to the European Parliament, the European Commission, and numerous heads of state. He is an internationally-renowned author with nearly twenty books published, and he’s a columnist for The Guardian, the LA Times, and other publications.
- The Third Industrial Revolution presents a “sustainable economic game plan” which includes five main pillars:
(1) shifting to renewable energy;
(2) transforming building stock into green micro–power plants to collect renewable energies on-site;
(3) deploying hydrogen and other storage technologies in buildings and througouth infrastructure to store intermittent energies;
(4) using Internet technology to transform the power grid of every continent into an energy internet that acts just like the Internet; and
(5) transitioning the transport fleet to electric plug-in and fuel cell vehicles that can buy and sell green electricity on a smart, continental, interactive power grid.
- In his book, Rifkin describes how the five pillars of the Third Industrial Revolution will create thousands of businesses and millions of jobs, and usher in a fundamental reordering of human relationships, from hierarchical to lateral power, that will impact the way we conduct business, govern society, educate our children, and engage in civic life.