In September 2016, the reimagined and rebuilt Frick Environmental Center opened its doors to welcome people of all ages to Frick Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The world’s first environmental education facility that’s free, open to the public, municipally owned, and pursuing the Living Building Challenge, the Center is an unprecedented collaborative venture focused on the […]
Tag Archives | living building
West Penn Power Sustainable Energy Fund Energy Workshop and Tour
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is a leader in the green building movement. The Phipps team has taken sustainability excellence to the next level by going beyond its buildings to lead by example, initiating a holistic approach to green all of its operations and programs. The organization demonstrates Power & Foresight in achieving the Living Building Challenge™ for its Center for Sustainable Landscapes (CSL), a facility that houses groundbreaking sustainability research and science education programs, and serves as a key part of the public garden’s immersive visitor experience. In producing all of its own renewable energy, and treating and reusing all water captured on site, the CSL demonstrates the benefits of humanity living in harmony with nature. The CSL is the first and only project to simultaneously attain the planet’s highest sustainable building certifications:
- Living Building Challenge, the world’s most rigorous green building standard
- LEED Platinum – tied for the highest points awarded under version 2.2
- First and only Four Stars Sustainable SITES Initiative (SITES) for landscapes project (pilot)
- First and only WELL Building Platinum project (pilot)
This event is being organized by the West Penn Power Sustainable Energy Fund in collaboration with Richard Piacentini who serves as Executive Director of Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.
You Will Learn & See
The workshop will be held at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, which is located immediately adjacent to the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. Learn about “The Greening of Phipps”:
- Why did Phipps decide to build the CSL?
- The leadership role Phipps took to bring a building like this to Pittsburgh
- The integrative design process
- Key lessons learned
- See one of Earth’s greenest buildings, designed to operate as efficiently as a flower.
- Date – August 18, 2015
- Location – Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (Pittsburgh, PA) adjacent to the Center for Sustainable Landscapes
- Light Refreshments: (9:30-10:00)
- Interactive Workshop (10:00-11:15)
- Tour (11:15-12:15)
- Working lunch and wrap-up (12:15 – 1:00)
To register email email@example.com
West Penn Power Sustainable Energy Fund is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that invests in the deployment of clean energy technologies that benefit West Penn Power ratepayers in Pennsylvania. Investments are made to promote: the use of renewable and clean energy, energy conservation and energy efficiency, and the attraction, establishment, and retention of sustainable energy businesses.Visit our website