Want to become a LEED-accredited professional in Western Pennsylvania? Green Building Alliance is here to help interested students and professionals in the Pittsburgh, Erie, and Johnstown areas achieve that goal! Review the summarized steps below to learn just what you need to do.
Preparing for and taking a LEED exam:
Step 1) Decide which test to take. Everyone is eligible to take the LEED Green Associate exam, but those interested in taking a LEED Accredited Professional (AP) exam must first have passed the LEED Green Associate exam and have documented project experience (though it is possible to take both exams in one sitting). For more details and to determine eligibility, read U.S. Green Building Council’s overview of LEED professional credentials here.
Need to prepare with an expert? Consider attending an upcoming LEED prep class
Step 2) Create a USGBC user account:
Visit www.usgbc.org (click on “Sign in,” then “Create a Site User Account”). If applicable, be sure to include your company’s corporate ID number when you register to get the member discount.
Step 3) Register for the exam with your USGBC user account and pay the associated fees.
- The Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI) administers the credentialing programs for USGBC, so test-takers actually register for exams through their website (which is connected to USGBC’s).
- To register, visit www.gbci.org and click on “My Credentials.” Sign in using the USGBC username and password you created in Step 2. Select “Apply for an Exam.”
- Review and update your profile.
- Upload eligibility documentation; read and agree to the terms.
- Enter payment information (see the prices listed below).
Notification of acceptance will be received within seven to 10 business days. If accepted, the test application is valid for one year. If rejected, the applicant must wait 90 days before reapplying.
- Visit www.gbci.org and click on “My Credentials”; sign in using your USGBC username and password.
- Confirm member status.
- Complete your eligibility ID and go to www.prometric.com/gbci to schedule an exam appointment.
- Enter your Eligibility ID, select a test site, schedule a date and time, and enter payment information.
- When the exam appointment is scheduled, Prometric will send an email confirmation.
Step 5) Start studying! Green Building Alliance has copies of LEED Ready Green Associate (RMC Publications) for sale and our programming director, Janel Everly, teaches several LEED Green Associate exam prep courses throughout the year. See GBA’s event calendar to find the next one near you. Keep In Mind: We suggest a preparation period of four to eight weeks, so keep that in mind when scheduling the exam (AP exams will likely require more time). Consider reviewing the study guides before scheduling the exam to determine how long you think you will need to prepare.
LEED Testing Fees:
- The LEED Green Associate exam includes a $50 application fee and a $200 exam fee ($250 for non-USGBC members). There is also a $50 credential maintenance fee every two years.
- The LEED AP exam includes a $100 application fee and a $400 full exam fee ($550 for non-members). For those who have already passed the LEED Green Associate exam, the AP-only exam will cost $250 ($350 for non-members). There is also a $50 credential maintenance fee every two years.
Local Prometric Testing Centers:
Upon scheduling the exam, test-takers can select the date, time, and location that works best for their schedules. Here is a sample list of regional testing centers:
- Pittsburgh, PA (North Hills)
5700 Corporate Dr., Suite 400
Pittsburgh Research Park
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
- Monroeville, PA
4055 Monroeville Blvd.
Bldg 1, Suite 135
Monroeville, PA 15146
- Morgantown, WV
6 Riddle Court
West Virginia University
Morgantown, WV 26505
- Erie, PA
7200 Peach St., Suite 440
Summit Towne Centre
Erie, PA 16509