I have a secret! We just closed voting for GBA’s Emerald Evening 2014 Luminary Awards and I know who the winner is! But if you want to know, you’ll have to come to our event on September 25th! Here’s a reminder about who our fabulous finalists are and a preview of what you can expect at the event!
This year’s Emerald Evening 2014 features the Legacy and Luminary Awards. Richard Piacentini, executive director of Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, is being honored with our Legacy Award. If you’re not already familiar with all the groundbreaking work Richard has done for our region (including the recently completed Center for Sustainable Landscapes, which has achieved LEED Platinum certification and a host of other accolades), you can read more about why we selected Richard here. Meanwhile, our Luminary (“People’s Choice”) Award considered nominees from various backgrounds, professions, and industries who are doing tremendous work to develop healthy and high-performing spaces in our communities. GBA’s selection committee narrowed the nominees down to four finalists:
- Fred Brown, The Kingsley Assocation
- Angelica Ciranni, PNC Financial Services Group (previously at the Sports & Exhibition Authority of Allegheny County)
- Laura Nettleton (Thoughtful Balance)
- Doreen Petri (Erie City School District)
Each of these finalists is illuminating our region in his or her own special way and you can read about their work and accomplishments here. Of course, in my eyes all of our finalists – and nominees – are winners! But one person collected the highest number of votes during our public voting period and that person will go home with this year’s Luminary Award! We’ll announce the winner live at the Emerald Evening celebration, so you don’t want to miss it!! Here’s what we have in store for our biggest party of the year:
If you join us for the Full Evening Package (which includes the Dinner Gala, Awards Ceremony, and Dessert Reception):
- We’ll open the evening with beer, wine, cocktails, live music, and passed hors d’oeuvres. Think Stella, Pinot, Jim Beam, sweet potato puffs, spanakopita, spicy andouille sausage, chicken satay, and delicious grape-and-pistachio concoctions!
- While enjoying the pre-dinner libations and appetizers, you’ll network with old friends and new colleagues, including policymakers, business owners, AEC professionals, consultants, and many more!
- Our seated dinner will feature more food and drinks, including sweet basil and goat cheese ravioli or sauteed chicken with wild mushroom Marsala sauce!
- After dinner, we’ll head into the Awards Ceremony to witness Richard Piacentini accept the Legacy Award and finally find out who wins our Luminary Award. Throughout the ceremony, you’ll enjoy captivating performances by Bodiography Contemporary Ballet.
- Save room for dessert! Finally, we’ll close the evening with delectable hand-held desserts, coffee, and more drinks.
If you’re joining us for the Party Package (which includes the Awards Ceremony and Dessert Reception):
- You’ll roll into the party as we’re finishing the Dinner Gala, just in time to grab a beer or glass of wine (or sparkling water!) before making your way into the Awards Ceremony.
- We’ll then dive right into the Ceremony, where you can cheer on Phipps Conservatory’s Richard Piacentini as he accepts this year’s Legacy Award and sit on the edge of your seat as we all discover this year’s Luminary Award winner.
- We’ll wrap up the night with more drinks and delectable desserts. We’ll have pastries, cupcakes, tartlets, and other hand-held sweets so you can hold your beer or shake hands with new friends while munching.
- Throughout the evening, you’ll enjoy live music and performances by Bodiography Contemporary Ballet.
So what are you waiting for? You have so many reasons to join us at this year’s Emerald Evening. Now it’s time to buy your tickets for either the Full Evening Package or the Party Package. It’s only a few weeks away, so reserve your spot now!