The Green & Healthy Schools Academy promotes vibrant, just, inspiring, engaging, healthy, and high performing schools and communities through programs and engagement with educators, administrators, students, and community members.
Opportunities for Educators:
School Sustainability Culture Program Workshops: Whether you are brand new to school sustainability or consider yourself an expert, this is your chance to learn hands-on solutions for integrating sustainability into your culture, building, and curriculum. These workshops are open to the public with breakfast and lunch provided.
- Sustainability 101: What are the Components of A Green & Healthy School?
- Tuesday, December 10th 8:30-3pm (Register Here)
- Handprinting: Creating Healthy, High Performing, and Engaging Environments through a Net-Positive Approach
- Wednesday, February 19th, 8:30-3pm
- Creating the Ideal Learning Environments: An Introduction to Biophilic Design & Biomimicry for Educators
- Thursday April 16th, 8:30-3pm
- Teaching Climate Change in your Classrooms: Teacher Cohort Showcase
- Thursday May 7th, 6pm-8pm
National School Sustainability Culture Retreat— Summer 2020
As a culmination of these workshops throughout the school year, we will be launching our first School Sustainability Culture Program Retreat! All K-12 teachers, administrators, and non-traditional educators are invited to learn about integrating sustainability into their culture. Submit your interest in the form below.
Teacher Cohorts K-12 teachers interested in integrating climate change education into their curriculum should join our Project Drawdown or United Nations Sustainable Development Goals cohort. This paid opportunity has limited openings for K-12 classroom teachers in both Pittsburgh and West Virginia. Submit your application or contact Katie Lockley for more information.
Opportunities for School Building Professionals:
Healthy Schools Technical Assistance Workshops: Facility workshops focus specifically on the physical school building by providing professional development and technical assistance in an effort to create healthier and safer schools. Breakfast will be provided.
- Greener and Healthier: Establishing a Green Cleaning Program
- Tuesday, November 5th 8-12pm (Register Here)
Pittsburgh 2030 District Affiliate Program Schools interested in reducing their energy usage and saving money can join the Pittsburgh 2030 District Affiliate Program. This free program does more than just benchmark buildings—it gives school leaders and facility managers individualized energy reports, access to Bridge to 2030 events for innovative energy saving methods, and free technical assistance. For more information, contact Ellen Conrad.
School Building Project Technical Assistance: GHSA staff provides technical assistance to schools that are exploring renovations or new construction project. Contact Katie Lockley for more information.
Opportunities for Students:
Emerging Youth Program The Emerging Youth Program is a free, monthly program for high school students. Students explore the city and see how Pittsburghers are implementing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in their work. Applications are rolling until the end of August 2019. Apply here! Contact Ellen Conrad to learn more about student opportunities.
National School Sustainability Culture Retreat – Summer 2020
- As a culmination of these workshops throughout the school year, GHSA is launching our first School Sustainability Culture Program Summer Retreat! All K-12 teachers, administrators, and non-traditional educators will learn about integrating sustainability into their culture. Submit your interest and get updates here: