The Green & Healthy Schools Academy promotes vibrant, just, inspiring, engaging, healthy, and high performing schools and communities through programs and engagement with educators, administrators, students, and community members.
Opportunities for Students:
Emerging Youth Program: The GBA’s Emerging Youth Program offers free, after school virtual field trips and leadership skill building for high school students based on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). Experience real world sustainability through
virtual building tours, speakers, scavenger hunts, games, and much more.
GBA’s Emerging Youth Program will meet virtually twice a month from August 2020 to April 2021. Weekday workshops will last 1.5 hours and be scheduled according to availability of participants. Materials and snacks will be provided to participants free of charge. The possibility of in person meetings will be evaluated January 2021. All current high school students welcome.
Opportunities for Educators:
GHSA Teacher Cohorts: K-12 classroom teachers interested in integrating climate change education into their curriculum should join our Project Drawdown or United Nations Sustainable Development Goals cohorts. This paid opportunity has limited openings for Pittsburgh and West Virginia cohorts. Submit your application here.
School Sustainability Culture Program Workshops: These full-day workshops are open to the public with breakfast and lunch provided.
- Sustainability 101: Components of a Green & Healthy School
- Free half or full day professional development workshops for K-12 school staff.
- Handprinting: Creating Healthy, High-Performing, and Engaging School Environments Through a Net-Positive Approach (Wednesday, February 19th 8:30-3pm)
- Creating the Ideal Learning Environment: An Introduction to Biophilic Design & Biomimicry for Educators (Canceled)
School Sustainability Culture Program Retreats: Join us on multi-day retreats to learn about integrating sustainability into K-12 culture.
- School Sustainability Leadership Retreat (Postponed)
- School Sustainability National Retreat (Postponed)
- All K-12 educators or administration are invited to learn about a school-wide culture for sustainability. Complete the form at the bottom of this page for more information.
School Sustainability Project Technical Assistance: From building efficiency to climate change education, GHSA staff supports school sustainability and facility projects with vendor recommendations, green school resources, and project planning support for all sustainability topics. For more information, contact Katie Lockley.
Opportunities for School Building Professionals:
Healthy Schools Facilities Workshops: These morning workshops are specifically for facilities professionals, breakfast is provided.
- Mold, Radon, and Lead in Schools Workshop (Tuesday, March 10th 9-12pm)
- Indoor Air Quality in Schools: Best Practices for Makerspaces and Special-Use Classrooms (Canceled)
Pittsburgh 2030 District Affiliate Program: Schools interested in reducing their energy usage and saving money can join the Pittsburgh 2030 District Affiliate Program. This free program does more than just benchmark buildings—it gives school leaders and facility managers individualized energy reports, access to Bridge to 2030 events for innovative energy saving methods, and free technical assistance. For more information, contact Ellen Conrad.
K-12 Capital Project Technical Assistance: GHSA staff provides technical assistance to schools that are exploring renovations or new construction project. Contact Katie Lockley for more information.
Thank you for your interest in the School Sustainability National Retreat!