The Green & Healthy Schools Academy promotes vibrant, just, inspiring, engaging, healthy, and high performing schools and communities through programs and engagement with educators, administrators, students, and community members.
Opportunities for Educators:
School Sustainability Culture Program Workshops: These full-day workshops are open to the public with breakfast and lunch provided.
- Handprinting: Creating Healthy, High-Performing, and Engaging School Environments Through a Net-Positive Approach
- Wednesday, February 19th 8:30-3pm
- Creating the Ideal Learning Environment: An Introduction to Biophilic Design & Biomimicry for Educators
- Thursday, April 16th 8:30-3pm
- Sustainability 101: Components of a Green & Healthy School
- Free half or full day professional development workshops for K-12 school staff.
GHSA Teacher Cohorts: K-12 classroom teachers interested in integrating climate change education into their curriculum should join our Project Drawdown or United Nations Sustainable Development Goals cohorts. This paid opportunity has limited openings for Pittsburgh and West Virginia cohorts. Submit your application here.
- GHSA Teacher Cohort Showcase
- Thursday, May 7th 6pm-8pm
School Sustainability Culture Program Retreats: Join us on multi-day retreats to learn about integrating sustainability into K-12 culture.
- School Sustainability Leadership Retreat
- March, 18-19th, 2020
- K-12 superintendents and district administration are invited to explore district-wide school culture and sustainability. Contact Katie Lockley for more details
- School Sustainability National Retreat
- Summer 2020
- All K-12 educators or administration are invited to learn about a school-wide culture for sustainability. Complete the form at the bottom of this page for more information.
School Sustainability Project Technical Assistance: From building efficiency to climate change education, GHSA staff supports school sustainability and facility projects with vendor recommendations, green school resources, and project planning support for all sustainability topics. For more information, contact Katie Lockley.
Opportunities for School Building Professionals:
Healthy Schools Facilities Workshops: These morning workshops are specifically for facilities professionals, breakfast is provided.
- Recycling and Composting in Schools Workshop
- Tuesday, March 10th 8-12pm
- Regional waste specialists will weigh in on your burning questions around responsible waste management and how to reduce waste all together!
- Mold, Radon, and Lead in Schools: 1,000 Hours Grant Workshop
- TBD Spring 2020 8-12pm
Pittsburgh 2030 District Affiliate Program: Schools interested in reducing their energy usage and saving money can join the Pittsburgh 2030 District Affiliate Program. This free program does more than just benchmark buildings—it gives school leaders and facility managers individualized energy reports, access to Bridge to 2030 events for innovative energy saving methods, and free technical assistance. For more information, contact Ellen Conrad.
K-12 Capital Project Technical Assistance: GHSA staff provides technical assistance to schools that are exploring renovations or new construction project. Contact Katie Lockley for more information.
Opportunities for Students:
Emerging Youth Program: The Emerging Youth Program is a free, monthly program for high school students. Students explore the city and see how Pittsburghers are implementing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) in their work.
Thank you for your interest in the School Sustainability National Retreat!