- This event has passed.
Sustainability 101: Components of a Green and Healthy School
December 10, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pm$15
School sustainability is not just about recycling—there is so much that goes into creating a culture for sustainability in your school! In this workshop, we highlight some of the building blocks to create a healthy school: making green cleaning choices, purchasing healthy supplies for your classrooms, best practices for school gardening, and others. Come learn about other schools or organizations successes, lessons learned, and tactics for starting exciting school practices!
This is a workshop in our Green and Healthy Schools Academy’s School Sustainability Workshop series. Upcoming workshops include:
- Wednesday February 19th, 8:30-3:00pm—Handprinting: Creating Healthy, High-Performing, and Engaging Environments through a Net-Positive Approach
- Thursday April 16th, 8:30-3:00pm—Creating the Ideal Learning Environments: An Introduction to Biophilic Design & Biomimicry for Educators
- Thursday May 7th, 6-8pm—Teaching Climate Change in your Classrooms: Teacher Cohort Showcase
Scholarships are available in an effort to make this program accessible to everyone and are given based on financial need. To receive a scholarship to an event or for more information on the School Sustainability Workshop series and other GHSA programming, contact Green and Healthy Schools Director Katie Lockley.
- Collect best practices, tips, and answers to common questions about green school practices
- Learn the fundamentals of the Dept. Of Education Green Ribbon Schools Program
- Understand ways to advocate for healthy & high-performing schools including but not limited to green cleaning, recycling, composting, school gardens, food insecurity in schools, personal health & wellness
- Establish and reestablish connections with educational professionals that have similar experiences and interests for increased support
- Develop a series of action steps to apply in your own school setting