- This event has passed.
Socially Engaged Art and Advocating for Healthy Schools with Special Guest Mel Chin
October 4, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pm EDT$15
Following our Inspire Speaker Series on October 3rd, join us for a day long workshop on Friday October 4th featuring nationally recognized artist, Mel Chin. Chin’s art spans over multiple mediums, but often evokes social responsibility and awareness by drawing attention to unlikely places—an abandoned home, a toxic landfill. Educators get a front row seat to hear directly from Mel Chin about his message, the Fundred Dollar Bill project, and discuss how themes of his art can be used to advocate for healthy school environments.
This is a workshop in our Green and Healthy Schools Academy’s School Sustainability Workshop series. Upcoming workshops include:
- Tuesday December 10th 8:30-3:00pm —Sustainability 101: What are the Components of a Green and Healthy School?
- Wednesday February 19th, 8:30-3:00pm—Handprinting: Creating Healthy, High-Performing, and Engaging Environments through a Net-Positive Approach
- Thursday April 16th, 8:30-3:00pm—Creating the Ideal Learning Environments: An Introduction to Biophilic Design & Biomimicry for Educators
- Thursday May 7th, 6-8pm—Teaching Climate Change in your Classrooms: Teacher Cohort Showcase
Scholarships are available in an effort to make this program accessible to everyone and are given based on financial need. To receive a scholarship to an event or for more information on the School Sustainability Workshop series and other GHSA programming, contact Green and Healthy Schools Director Katie Lockley.
- Collect best practice tips and answers to common questions on green school practices
- Understand how art plays a role in activism and education.
- Learn about local environmental issues and organizations that are working to solve them
- Develop a series of action steps to apply in their own school settings