- This event has passed.
Inspire Speakers Series Presents: Jim Hartzfeld and Bill Strickland
December 12, 2013 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The Power of People
Uncovering the Human Potential in Achieving True Sustainability
“Success is the point where your most authentic talents, passion, values, and experiences intersect with the chance to contribute to some greater good.” – Bill Strickland
“To me, sustainability means thriving lives for all within the means of nature.” – Jim Hartzfeld
It’s the perfect time to get into the holiday spirit, while learning how to harness the powers of the human spirit to make lasting change in our communities. At this event, Bill Strickland and Jim Hartzfeld will inspire attendees and share ways to foster leadership skills necessary to pursue visions that make the impossible possible, implement a human-centered approach to design and sustainability, create a culture that allows people to thrive, and discover the importance of arts and beauty in education, business, design, neighborhood revitalization, and the reignition of the human spirit. This lecture features:
- Bill Strickland, a local social architect, community leader, visionary, and MacArthur Genius Fellow who is internationally recognized for his work as President and CEO of Manchester Bidwell Corporation (and its subsidiaries, Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild (MCG), and Bidwell Training Center (BTC)), and
- Jim Hartzfeld, a national leader in the sustainability field who worked closely with Ray Anderson to set the tone for Interface and hundreds of other businesses on their efforts in environmental sustainability to embrace “human technologies” of collaboration, learning and innovation that are necessary to accelerate progress.
Both leaders have a vision for a healthier future for all, and work to create organizational cultures that foster innovation, creativity, responsibility, integrity, and inspiration.
Before and after the event, you can:
- Network with friends and colleagues
- Stroll around Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens while listening to holiday music and viewing thousands of holiday lights, festive flowers, and the model train display
- Purchase holiday gifts for your loved ones that will also serve to make a difference in your community! Students from the Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild will be selling handmade pottery and beautiful orchids (grown in the Horticultural Training Center). Proceeds from gift sales will serve to continue the wonderful work being done at MCG.
- As a special treat, you can also purchase a signed copy of Bill Strickland’s new book, Make the Impossible Possible, for yourself or as a gift.
About the Speakers
Bill Strickland, a local social architect, community leader, visionary, and MacArthur Genius Fellow is internationally recognized for his work in arts, entrepreneurship, education, and community revitalization. This is a rare opportunity for audience members to hear Bill tell an authentic Pittsburgh story of self empowerment and transformation that has grown from his powerful and broad vision of arts, youth, and unlikely partnerships into a model that is being replicated nationally through the National Center for the Arts and Technology. As President and CEO, he leads this model of the Manchester Bidwell Corporation and its subsidiaries (Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild and Bidwell Training Center) that feature diverse programming that combines to create empowering educational environments for adults-in-transition as well as urban and at-risk youth, enriching Southwestern Pennsylvania and, eventually, the world.
- Learn more about Bill and watch his TED Talk.
- Read a recent article about Bill’s education revolution
Working at the intersections of head and heart, design and purpose, Jim Hartzfeld worked for nearly two decades under the legendary Ray Anderson at Interface, a company known for its pioneering sustainable manufacturing practices, to develop a sustainable enterprise through innovation, policy, and business development. Leading Interface’s consulting arm, InterfaceRAISE, Jim supported over 40 Fortune 1000 companies on their own sustainability initiatives in sectors as diverse as retail, transportation, food and beverage, construction, and manufacturing. Jim has served roles with organizations such as the US Green Building Council (two-term Chairman), the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, and the President’s Council on Sustainable Development.
- Watch Jim’s TED Talk on Restorative Through the Power of Influence
Don’t miss this unique chance to spend a cold winter’s night in the warm, twinkling corridors of Phipps. Tasty food and drinks, great friends, holiday shopping, a feast for the eyes, and inspiring speakers are awaiting you!
Come kick off your holiday season with GBA, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Manchester Bidwell Corporation, Jim Hartzfeld, and Bill Strickland! You will be inspired to spread the seeds of change throughout your own community, office, or school! We hope to see you there!
Come grab dinner and enjoy an opportunity for networking in Phipps Cafe starting at 5:00 p.m. Inspire Speakers presentations will follow at 6:00 p.m. Register here to join the speakers for dinner after their talks.
Check out the rest of this year’s Inspire Speakers presenters here! GBA Members save $51 by purchasing the entire series!
Partner organizations for this event are Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Tri-State Area School Study Council, Master Builders’ Association of Western PA, CSI Pittsburgh, Sustainable Pittsburgh, GTECH Strategies, AIA Pittsburgh, Grow Pittsburgh, and MGR Environmental Justice.