- This event has passed.
GPRO Operations and Maintenance Training
August 4 @ 9:00 am - August 6 @ 1:00 pm$300 – $350
The path towards healthy and high performing buildings doesn’t end at the completion of design and construction… In fact, that is just the beginning! Facility and operating personnel have an incredibly important role in ensuring our buildings (both new and old) are run efficiently and maintained properly. Consider this: efficient operations and smart maintenance in buildings not only reduce operating costs by 20-50 percent these efficiencies, but also increase occupancy rates and tenant satisfaction. This is one reason green operations and maintenance (O&M) practices are in high demand across the country.
GPRO (Green Professional) is a comprehensive international training and certificate program that teaches the people who build, renovate and maintain buildings the principles of sustainability combined with trade-specific green construction knowledge. Green Building Alliance is excited to offer one of these trade-specific courses: GPRO Operations & Maintenance Essentials. This is a great opportunity for building operations professionals to maximize their ability to identify efficiencies in their buildings and save energy, water, and money while also improving occupant satisfaction and reducing their environmental footprint.
GPRO Operations & Maintenance Essentials provides building professionals with the critical tools to transition from conventional to sustainable operations. GPRO O&M is ideal for property managers and building staff in multi-family residential and high-rise commercial or institutional buildings including:
- Building superintendents
- Facility and property managers
- Operating engineers
- Stationary engineers
- Sustainability managers
Upon completion of this course and passing of the accompanying exam, students will become GPRO certificate holders in Fundamentals of Building Green and Operations & Maintenance Essentials (O&M) and join over 10,000 building professionals who are part of the GPRO community. GPRO-trained operations and maintenance staff can also qualify for a LEED point for Existing Building projects under LEED Pilot Credit 81.
While this training is traditionally hosted in-person, GBA has modified it for a virtual offering. Much of the Fundamentals content will be covered in pre-recorded video by your trainer, and the remainder of the training has been split into three half-day sessions.
What Students Learn
Part 1: Fundamentals of Building Green
Fundamentals of Sustainability and Buildings
- Connections between Buildings and Climate Change
- Basics of High-Performance Buildings
- Causes and Effects of Climate Change
- Working Towards Solutions
- Value of High-Performance Buildings
Fundamentals of Green Building Practices
- Small Changes, Huge Impact
- Tight Building Envelope
- Right-Sized HVAC
- Water Conservation
- Efficient Lighting and Electrical Systems
- Healthy Indoor Environments
- Environmentally -Friendly Materials
- Codes and Commissioning
- Operating Existing Buildings
Part 2: Operations & Maintenance Essentials
- Operations & Maintenance in Green Buildings
- Performance Metrics
- Building Envelope
- Water Use
- Heating, Cooling, and Hot Water
- Indoor Air Quality
- Waste Reduction
- Commissioning Existing Buildings
- Action Plan
The exam is 50 multiple-choice questions testing knowledge from both Fundamentals of Building Green and Operations & Maintenance Essentials. Under the virtual training model during social distancing, the exam is formatted as an open-book test at home. It is 75 minutes long and students will have three days to complete it. The passing score for the exam is 80 percent.
- Explain how reducing building energy will reduce the effects of climate change.
- Describe the basic elements of, green, high-performance construction and building operations.
- Describe the role of trades on high-performance job sites.
- Describe energy-consuming building systems and some strategies to reduce building energy use.
- Take a systemic approach to operating and maintaining your building.
- Evaluate the performance of your building.
- Describe at least three immediately actionable measures that will improve the health, energy or water efficiency of your building and the next steps needed to achieve them; then explain the costs and benefits of these measures.
There is no student rate for this course, but scholarships, group pricing and requested private courses are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.