- This event has passed.
Certified Passive House Consultant/Designer Training
December 10, 2018 @ 8:00 am - December 14, 2018 @ 5:00 pm EST$1750
Join GBA for a Certified Passive House Consultant/Designer Training!
Please note: Registration for this course closes on November 30.
The Passive House (or PassivHaus) Standard is a rigorous, science-based method for achieving incredible energy efficiency, durability, and healthy indoor air in any kind of building. Many practitioners are turning to Passive House to meet energy requirements in LEED, Living Building Challenge, and Zero Net Energy — and it’s widely recognized as a genuine path toward carbon neutrality in the building sector. Designing and constructing these buildings is no small feat, and practitioners will need to train up in order to meet rising demand for Passive House in both the residential and commercial sectors.
This Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant course offers intensive 5-day instruction by master trainers, in which participants will receive a thorough grounding in the critical aspects of Passive House design and construction. You’ll get prepared to pass the CPHD/C exam and learn how to apply the lessons learned directly to real-world work experience. On successfully passing the exam, participants will receive a five-year registration as an internationally accredited Certified Passive House Designer or Consultant.
This course is for all building professionals: architects, MEP, and structural engineers, builders and construction managers working in the design and construction of new build and retrofit Passive House buildings. For those more interested in hands-on Passive House construction training, keep an eye out for our next Passive House Tradesperson Training.
This course is provided in collaboration with the international Passive House Institute, and is accredited by AIA for 30 LUs.
- Day 1: Introduction to Passive House principles and economics, with an in-depth look at enclosure insulation & thermal bridging: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 2: Enclosure airtightness and windows: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 3: Ventilation, heating, cooling, dehumidification, and domestic hot water: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
- Day 4: PHPP energy model and calculating building energy balance.
- Day 5: Retrofits, certifications, and exam preparation.
Group Study Session:
Our trainers will host a Group Study Session on Saturday, December 1 so participants can prepare for the exam and ask questions.
The international PHI exam occurs four times each year globally, in March, June, October, and December. Green Building Alliance will host and proctor the CPHD/C exam in March 23, 2019. More information about the exam is available here.
The current version of the PHPP energy model will be provided and registered to each participant for use in the class – and any subsequent professional work.
The designation “Designer” is reserved for architects, engineers and similarly specialized building professionals. The “Consultant” designation is for non-specialized professionals and others. A more detailed guideline can be found here.)
The $1,750 fee for the course includes a training manual and breakfast, lunch, and snacks for all days of training. In addition, the candidate will need to cover the PHPP software fee ($175) and the exam fee ($500) to become a Certified Passive House Consultant. To become a Certified Passive House Designer, the candidate will need to submit proof of educational attainment that would qualify them to be a CPHD. More info can be found here.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the Passive House building standard, including its intent, requirements, history, the players involved, some common misconceptions, and its applications for both residential and commercial buildings.
- Learn the basics of building science as an essential piece of the Passive House standard.
- Explore the theories behind the Passive House building standard and put them into practice during in-class design and critique sessions.
- Learn to use the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) energy modeling software as part of being adequately prepared to pass the Certified Passive House Designer exam and become a fully credentialed CPHD.
This training is made possible by generous support of NK Architects and supportive of GBA’s partnership with PHWPA.