ABOUT: What is the Green Schools Academy?
GBA and its stakeholders are committed to the vision that all students and all schools are healthy and high performing within a generation. To that end, GBA assists schools with integrating sustainability into their buildings, curriculum, and culture through inspirational, comprehensive, and developmental education. The Green Schools Academy programming aligns with the national U.S. Department of Education’s Green Ribbon Schools program that promotes three pillars for sustainable and healthy schools: reduced environmental impact and operational costs; health and wellness of students and staff; and providing effective environmental and sustainability education to promote civic skills, environmental stewardship, and a strong foundation for career and college pathways. Schools can have a significant impact on student and teacher health and performance, as well as the health, vitality, and economic development of their surrounding community.
With the participation of school representatives and help from community partners and school sustainability advisors, GBA’s Green Schools Academy is creating a community within and among schools to advance healthy and high performing places for learning throughout the region.
IMPACT: How is the Green Schools Academy Improving the Region?
GBA’s Green Schools Academy empowers educators, administrators, parents, and students to make lasting changes—improving health and increasing performance.
Consider these critical facts:
- Fifty-six million students and four million teachers attend school each day
- Over 25% of students and teachers attend schools that are considered substandard or dangerous to occupant health
- Green, healthy, and high-performance schools can:
- Save up to $100,000 per year, which could pay for hiring two new teachers, buying 250 new computers, or
- Purchasing 5,000 new textbooks
- Result in improved student engagement, higher academic achievement and graduation rates, and workforce preparedness, as well as a government wide goal of increasing energy independence and economic security.